Is there any time to work?
It is not without a reason,
- people were still insisting to get a government job.
- UP is still a under developed state.
- Intense caste based politics prevailing in UP.
Recently I have come across news that Uttar Pradesh government has given its employees 32 public holidays, 4 local holidays and 2 bank holidays. They are having 30 earned leaves, 12 casual leaves and 104 leaves in Saturday and Sunday, leaves them with working days of only 177 in a year which is lesser than the no. of non-working days of 188. With these many leaves how a state will develop? How the administrators will implement the plans of government with these much leaves? What maybe the reason for these much holidays? No guess work here, It’s all to please various communities.
In 2005, the no. of holidays in UP were 28. In 2006, Parshuram Jayanti was declared a public holiday to please the Bhramin community, Vishwakarama Jayanthi was declared a public holiday to please the Vishwakarma community and Agrasen Jayanthi was declared as public holiday in response to a demand by the Vaishya Community. The birthday of the prophet and last Friday of Ramzan were also declared as holiday.After Mayawati become as CM in 2007, Kanshi Ram’s birth and death date were announced as public holidays.
So in the above said holidays, whether all the people of Uttar Pradesh were going to celebrate the Jayanthi’s. The answer is ‘no’. Why everybody in a state must be deprived of services for a very minor section of people going to celebrate the festival’s. Already they have 30 Earned leaves and 12 casual leaves, which is abundant. If the function is more important to them they can take leave from it. Kanshi Ram’s birthday and death anniversaries are announced as public holidays. What people were going to do with those holidays? Going to celebrate his birthday or mourn for his death? No. Even the central government has announced the leave only for our father Gandhiji.If Mayawati or Mulayam Singh dies means, then their birth and death anniversaries are going to added as public holidays. So, In no way this is going to decrease. It will ever increase just like our population.
Why I am saying ‘No’:
- The public holidays are for the people to spend some time with his family and friends during festive times. And that too must be given after making sure that it will not affect the normal life. But here our Netas were giving leaves at their will. If we start giving leaves for all the festivals we celebrate and the birth and death dates of our leaders, we will not have a single working day in a year. Because we are living in a country where people were following different religions, in which each and every religions have several special days and there are many a leaders who are fighting for country and each and every community.
- Of these 35 holidays, many will fall in Friday or Monday, which means the government will not function for 3 days continuously. There are many people in India, especially in the state of UP, who are below the poverty line. They are too much dependent on public Ration shops for their food. By the stats, as they were being closed every other day how these people will survive?
- There are many other government offices like Taulk office, RTO, which must be opened to get the certificates in time. Central government has its own set of 15 days of holidays.
- If a person were applying to central government job, for which he needs certificates or sign from state government office means there is a possibility that he can’t apply or get them in time.
- We know already that at what pace our government officers were getting their, sorry, our work done, so this will create an additional delay to the process.
- This may mislead the other state governments as the worst things will pass on quickly in our country than the good things. Whether they will make up by having shifts on the leave days? I don’t think this is likely to happen.
- And also the strikes and government jobs are inseparable. If they are going start fight for their rights this 177 will become 150 are less.
I am not saying other states are better in this scenario. I didn’t get enough datas on how many public holidays for each state. I have got this page while googling, but couldn’t get the exact no. of holidays from it. Every state government has given its employees a minimum of 25 holidays. In addition to that, there are too many earned and casual leaves. Due to this lot of wotk hours and man power is going to be waste. There are lot of ways to get vote from people. If a government does well and manages to sort out the problems of the common people, they are sure to get vote. Instead of that, these kind of cheap ways will put both people and the government in a deep state of bother in future.